After spending nearly a decade as a public interest attorney, I found that there was an unmet need for quality advice about student loan options. I decided to launch a practice focusing on helping student loan borrowers understand their options and make smart choices about repayment.
I received a law degree from the City University of New York School of Law, where I served on the editorial board of the New York City Law Review. Following law school I served for two years as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Sylvia H. Rambo, U.S. District Court Judge for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
In 2009 I joined the Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, where I represented low-income consumers during the historic recession and foreclosure crisis. At Legal Aid I authored a chapter of Ohio Consumer Law focused on student loans, and I assisted student loan borrowers in getting out of default and applying for student loan discharges. In 2013 I joined Disability Rights Ohio as a staff attorney, representing individuals with disabilities in employment and higher education matters, including advice about student loans and vocational rehabilitation services.
I received an undergraduate degree in Philosophy from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Prior to law school I served as an AmeriCorps volunteer with Habitat for Humanity NYC.
Selected Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- Presenter, “Student Loans and Bankruptcy,” Bankruptcy CLE, Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, (October 2013).
- Presenter, “Disability”, Diversity within Diversity, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio (April 2015).
- Presenter, “Student Loans and Vocational Rehabilitation,” Continuing Issues in Vocational Rehabilitation, National Disability Rights Network Annual Conference, Baltimore, Maryland (June 2014).
- Presenter, “Employment Rights for Individuals with Disabilities”, Ohio Rehabilitation Association, Lewis Center, Ohio (May 2014).
- Presenter, “Rights of People With Disabilities in Transition from Education to Employment,” Multiple Perspectives on Access, Inclusion, and Disability Annual Conference, Ohio State University, Columbus
Ohio (April 2014).
- Presenter, “Foreclosure Defense after Schwartzwald,” Advanced Foreclosure Seminar, Ohio Poverty Law Center, Columbus, Ohio (March 8, 2013).
- Presenter, “Enforcing Loan Modifications and Foreclosure Settlement Agreements: Issues and Challenges,” Updates on Legal Issues in Foreclosure, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Cleveland, Ohio (October 22, 2012).
- Presenter, “Doing the Math: Crunching the Numbers Before Coming to the Negotiating Table,” Litigating Foreclosure Cases in Cuyahoga County, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Cleveland, Ohio (October 24, 2011).
- Presenter, “Payday Lending,” Federal Trade Commission Common Ground Conference, Cleveland, Ohio (October 14, 2011).
Student Loans, OHIO CONSUMER LAW (THOMPSON WEST 2012-2014) (significantly revising prior versions of chapter in light of new regulations)